How should I use a blowdryer on curly hair?
Blow drying curly hair takes patience and practice, but there are ways to make getting started a bit easier. Here’s a succinct step-by-step guide to achieving the perfect blowout on curls using a hair dryer:
1. Start by washing your hair with your choice of a sulfate-free shampoo followed by a moisturizing conditioner. We suggest using a detangling brush while your hair is coated with the conditioner.
2. After rinsing, gently squeeze any excess water from your curls with a microfiber towel or a T-shirt.
3. Part your hair into four sections and apply a heat protectant and styling product evenly throughout each section. Your hair should be relatively tangle-free at this point, but make sure to run a detangling brush through each section once more before blow drying.
4. Use a hair dryer and a brush with bristles to blow dry your hair from tip to root. Make sure to work in small sections, especially if you have thick or tight curls.
5. Once you’ve completed each section, apply a dime-sized amount of hair oil to add a bit of shine.
What kinds of products should I use when blow drying curly hair?
While blow drying your curls, you’ll need three main products: a styling product, a heat protectant, and a hair oil. Oftentimes, styling products are also designed as heat protectants, so if this is the case, you might just need two! Styling products—whether they’re creams or mists— are meant to increase style longevity, reduce frizz, and create a silky smooth feel. As for heat protectants, these products are used to limit the potential for heat damage by protecting your hair strands from high temperatures. And finally, hair oils seal in moisture and smooth flyaways.
Curl specialist Christin Brown says that her go-to product is the Olaplex Volumizing Blow Dry Mist. “If you’re someone that can benefit from a long-lasting style with added volume, this is definitely the product to have in your toolbox,” says Brown. “There’s also a heat-protectant built into the formula that protects hair up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and it includes patented Olaplex bond building technology that relinks damaged bonds for stronger, healthier looking hair,” she adds.
A few more products that we recommend are It’s A 10 Haircare Miracle Leave-In Conditioner Spray, JVN Complete Blowout Styling Milk, and Gisou Mini Honey Infused Hair Oil.
Why is an ionic hair dryer better for curly hair?
Ionic hair dryers use ion technology to fight frizz by reducing static electricity. In simple terms, ion technology produces negative ions which work to seal the hair’s cuticle and break down positively charged ions found in water molecules. This process ultimately helps your hair to dry faster, allowing you to use lower temperatures and spend less time applying direct heat to your curls. This is extremely beneficial for curly hair, because curls are often fragile and prone to frizz and heat damage. Using an ionic hair dryer will help you to maintain the health of your curls while transforming your hair from wispy and frizzy to sleek and smooth.